Thursday, July 21, 2011

Could I have permanently damaged my multimeter?

While I was working on a CRT, I was measuring a voltage near the flyback transformer; one probe was grounded. There was enough of an electrical field buildup around the FBT that the anode capacitor discharged (which provides something like 24,000 volts to the CRT, but a small current), and the multimeter took the blunt end of it. It then indicated an overload and gave a zero reading on all functions, suggesting that the fuse had blown. Both fuses appear to have their filaments intact (though I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything). Is it likely that further damage has been caused? The unit still powers on, no internal components appear burnt, and no electrolytic capacitors appear to be bulging or leaking. I have not yet replaced the fuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment